This week VIDEO ART VIDEO would like to present our forth series of screenings: ‘Women’s Cinema’. In this series we will show films by outstanding avant garde female filmmakers and artists, together with those with distinctive style.
The first installment of ‘Women’s Cinema’ will take place this Thurday 17th June 2010, 3 pm at the Sreening Room, Goethe Institute, with 5 experimental films by Maya Deren:
· ‘Meshes of the afternoon’ , 1943, 14 min: The film’s narrative is circular, and repeats a number of psychologically symbolic images, including a flower on a long driveway, a key falling, a door unlocked, a knife in a loaf of bread, a mysterious Grim Reaper – like cloaked figure with a mirror for a face, a phone off the hook and an ocean. Through creative editing, distinct camera angles, and slow motion, the surrealist film depicts a world in which it is more and more difficult to catch reality.
· ‘At land’, 1944, 15 min: is a silent experimental film written, directed by and starring Maya Deren. It has a dream-like narrative in which a woman, played by Deren, is washed up on a beach and goes on a strange journey encountering other people and other versions of herself. Deren once said that the film is about the struggle to maintain ones personal identity.
· ‘A Study in Choreography for Camera’, 1945, 4 min
· ‘Ritual in Transfigured Time’, 1946, 5 min
· ‘Meditation on Violence’, 1948, 12 min
· ‘The Very Eye of Night’, 1952 – 55, 15 min
Deren – also a choreographer, dancer, poet, writer and photographer – was a key figure in the creation of a New American Cinema, highlighting personal, experimental, underground film. Her first film Meshes of the Afternoon (1943) – among films to be screened – is considered to be one of the first important American experimental films. It provided a model for self-financed 16 mm production and distribution, as well as established an aesthetic model of what experimental cinema could do.
The screening is non-profit and aims for studies and research only.
Following the screening is Q&A session.
wordpress theme by initheme.com