The Varan Workshop is a co-production of Atelier Varan, the Studio for Documentary and Scientific Films, the Ford Foundation and the Goethe-Institut Vietnam. Since 2004, young film-makers have received training and support in their first steps in making documentary films. After months of work in the Varan Workshop 2009, this year’s participants have completed their documentary films and now present them in a small festival. They give very individual insights into their lives, their neighborhoods and the fate of their surroundings.
1. Saturday, 07 Nov
• Ba To Truong
• Chung Cu Cua Toi
• Licogi 12
2. Sunday, 08 Nov
• Xom Truong Tien
• Dat Dai Thuoc Ve Ai
• Bao Gio Ket Thuc
• Luon O Ben Con
• The Gioi Cua Tung
Free admission, no tickets
Location: Goethe Institute
About the films
• Ba To Truong/The Local Spokeswoman (Hoang Dung, 42 Minutes)
Portrait of a couple who are very active in their neighborhood in central Hanoi.
• Chung Cu Cua Toi/My Wooden House (Nguyen Dinh Le Minh, 60 Minutes)
The house where Nguyen Dinh Le Minh was born is to be sold. In Chung Cu Cua Toi/Mein Blockhaus he reminisces once again about the place where he grew up.
• Licogi 12 (Nguyen Quang Tuan, 35 Minutes)
The retired members of a community fight for the right to renovate their homes in order to improve living conditions for their children.
• Xom Truong Tien/The Truong Tien Community (Nguyen Viet Anh Thu, 50 Minutes)
A look at life in a poor community in Ho Chi Minh City.
• Dat Dai Thuoc Ve Ai/Who Owns the Property? (Doan Thi Hong Le, 60 Minutes)
A film about farmers who must give up their fields and gardens to make way for construction of a new golf course.
• Bao Gio Ket Thuc/When Will it End? (Nguyen Huong Le, 40 Minutes)
A look at the life of a family which struggles with the drug addiction of one of its members.
wordpress theme by initheme.com